[google-appengine] SSL for Naked Domain on Existing Project
Devel63
2018-12-10 02:07:19 UTC
We have an existing app engine project started a number of years ago. It
serves managed security HTTPS on the www subdomain.

[image: Custom_Domain.png]
At the time of creation, naked domains were not supported. The instructions
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/mapping-custom-domains> only
cover how to do that for a new project, and don't work for an existing one.

Following the clues in the instructions, we added the 4 AAAA records to our
DNS provider (a "new" requirement), and now the HTTP naked domain redirects
to HTTPS for www, which is good. But we'd like it to do the same thing for
HTTPS on the naked domain, and that gets an ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED.

We tried adding the naked custom domain via the console, but that doesn't
work because it's already at least partially mapped:

[image: Custom_Domain_Step2.png]
What can we do to get the naked domain working with HTTPS?