[google-appengine] App Engine Basic Scaling
Andrew Hoy
2018-11-28 13:48:49 UTC
Hi all,

I have a query regarding max_instances when using basic scaling in the App
Engine Standard environment (Node.js). Im my app.yaml file, I set
max_instances to 1. This appears in the config section under App Engine >
Versions in this UI:

runtime: nodejs8
env: standard
instance_class: B4_1G
handlers:
- url: '.*'
script: auto
basic_scaling:
idle_timeout: 600s
max_instances: 1
network: {}

All of the above looks correct. However, when I add the 'Max Instances'
column, the value is set to 'auto' (see attachment). Can someone please let
me know what I'm doing wrong here? Why is the UI showing 'auto' even though
the config section shows max_instances set to 1?

Thanks,

Andy
'Omair (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
2018-11-28 22:23:06 UTC
Hi Andrew,

You are using basic scaling which is different from manual scaling. In
basic scaling instances are created on demand to handle request and
automatically turned down when idle. The maximum number of instances that
can be created is defined in the max_instances parameter. To read about
types of scaling available in App Engine Standard please visit the link on
[1]. Having said that, it does seem like a bug to me that the maximum
instances is showing as auto. You can report this on Issue Tracker
<https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/new?component=187191&template=1162848>
as a bug.

[1]
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/how-instances-are-managed#instance_scaling
Andrew Hoy
2018-11-29 09:03:21 UTC
Hey Omair,

Appreciate you getting back to me.

Great, this is exactly what I wanted to use basic scaling for - thanks for
confirming. I Have reported the bug on the issue tracker.

'Amit (Google Cloud Support)' via Google App Engine