[google-appengine] Why in Google App Engine Always 11 secs of Latency coming only for the first requests?
Sudhanshu Gaur
2018-09-01 19:27:25 UTC
Hii, actually I am making just a sample NodeJs app in flexible environment
with just one route and nothing else in the code. But when I am trying to
call this API from my android app, I am getting latency of 40 seconds(when
I am using my domain url) and 11 secs(when I am using appspot.domain url).

Now in order to debug this I checked in trace api where there total latency
was in milisecs, also when I checked in Logs I found that the Logs which I
am printing when insideAPI code gets executed was after 40 secs,.

Can you please help me where these 40 secs are getting wasted?

Nothing is working for me Please Help.
Sudhanshu Gaur
2018-09-02 17:51:12 UTC
I found that

This can be a caused when your application is still booting up or warming
up instances to serve the request and can be called as loading latency. To
avoid such scenarios you can implement health check handler like readiness
check so that your application will only receive traffic when its ready

That's why I checked in my Logs that readiness check is performed sometimes
around 1 sec and sometimes around 200 ms

[image: google_cloud_logging.png] <about:invalid#zClosurez>

Can anyone please tell me is there anything wrong in warming up my
instances because I don't think cold boot time is causing this problem.

Please Help
'Dan S (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
2018-09-03 15:08:39 UTC
Hello,

It seems that you have reported this issue in the Issue Tracker:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/113672643

therefore, I'll be closing this issue in this channel an I will assist you
through the mentioned link.
'Steren Giannini' via Google App Engine
2018-09-05 21:07:40 UTC
Dan, it seems that the issue is not public. Would you mind making it public
or keep the conversation in the public forum?

Hello,
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/82c7b4a1-98ac-4496-8f50-ea7d2237ddd3%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/82c7b4a1-98ac-4496-8f50-ea7d2237ddd3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Sudhanshu Gaur
2018-09-05 21:31:45 UTC
Thanks a lot for assisting @Steren, waiting for the solution.
'Dan S (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
2018-09-06 14:43:51 UTC
Hi Steven,

I'm handling the case in private because I am investigating the case with
the customer. As soon as we find a solution I will remove private
information and set the case as public again.

Cheers
Suvodeep Pyne
2018-12-05 02:03:27 UTC
Hi Dan

Has the issue been resolved yet? I am seeing large latencies in my Flex
instance and was wondering if this thread could help. As Steren mentioned,
it would be great to have the issue public.

@Sudhanshu, would love to hear an update.

Regards

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:13:51 PM UTC+5:30, Dan S (Cloud
Post by Sudhanshu Gaur
I found that
This can be a caused when your application is still booting up or
warming up instances to serve the request and can be called as loading
latency. To avoid such scenarios you can implement health check handler
like readiness check so that your application will only receive traffic
when its ready
That's why I checked in my Logs that readiness check is performed
sometimes around 1 sec and sometimes around 200 ms
[image: google_cloud_logging.png]
Can anyone please tell me is there anything wrong in warming up my
instances because I don't think cold boot time is causing this problem.
Please Help
<javascript:>.
'Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
2018-12-05 17:49:49 UTC
Hi Suvodeep,

The original poster had posted the issue in this Stack Overflow thread
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52129452/why-in-google-app-engine-always-11-secs-of-latency-coming-only-for-the-first-req/52158357?noredirect=1#comment91514934_52158357>
and you may take a look at the answers provided in the thread, however
Issue 113672643 <https://issuetracker.google.com/113672643> will be visible
in public after removing customer's private data. I have asked the Cloud
Privacy team to remove the sensitive data and as soon as they remove it,
I'll change the visibility as public.

I should also note that Google Groups are reserved for general questions on
Google Cloud Platform-end products and not for reporting issues. For
reporting issues and feature request, I recommend to create a ticket in the Issue
Tracker <https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers> so that we
would be able to handle it efficiently.
Nico Verwer
2018-12-05 18:19:16 UTC
In the stackoverflow thread mentioned above, the conclusion is:

The issue is resolved now, it was happening because of network service
provider which is Bharti Airtel, their DNS lookup was taking the time to
resolve the hostname. After explicitly using alternative DNS like Google
8.8.8.8 the issue got completely resolved. Maybe it's a compatibility issue
of Airtel with Google Cloud.

I thought it might be useful to mention that for those who experience
latencies and come to this page.
Sudhanshu Gaur
Sudhanshu Gaur
2018-12-07 10:57:56 UTC
Is your issue resolved now?
Marc Samet
2018-09-02 17:59:33 UTC
remove me immediately from this group
Post by Sudhanshu Gaur
I found that
This can be a caused when your application is still booting up or warming up instances to serve the request and can be called as loading latency. To avoid such scenarios you can implement health check handler like readiness check so that your application will only receive traffic when its ready
That's why I checked in my Logs that readiness check is performed sometimes around 1 sec and sometimes around 200 ms
<google_cloud_logging.png> <about:invalid#zClosurez>
Can anyone please tell me is there anything wrong in warming up my instances because I don't think cold boot time is causing this problem.
Please Help
<google_cloud_logging.png>
Marc K. Samet, Ph.D.